2019 IIPLA Conference
The 2019 IIPLA Conference is being held at The District Venue in the up and coming Prairie Trail District in Ankeny, IA.
Speakers will be from 1-4pm on October 3rd, followed by a reception with food and drinks!
Friday, October 4th is scheduled for 8am-5pm with a lunch meeting in the middle.
- James O. Wilson, Assistant Regional Director, Elijah J, McCoy Midwest Regional Office, United States Patent & Trademark Office – Updates on USPTO Guidlines for §101 and §112
- Stacey Kalamaras – How to Be an Effective Trademark Practioner Before the USPTO
- Kate Gaudry – The Many Faces of Patent Examination
- Andrew Baluch – Current Topics in Inter Partes Review
- Carl Oppedahl – Multipe topics on PCT practice, including an ethics-based topic
- Sherry Knowles – Status of the Patent Eligibility Crisis in the U.S. and its Effect on Innovation
- Allison Kerndt – TM and Unfair Competition
- Jason Rantanen – Empirical/data claim text analysis
Thursday – Oct 3
12:30 pm – 1:00 pm | Check-In
1:00 pm – 1:55 pm | Jason Rantanen, University of Iowa College of Law, Empirical Patent Law Projects and Univ. of Iowa Law School Updates
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm | Carl Oppedahl, Oppedahl Patent Law Firm, “Avoiding Malpractice in PCT Practice” (ETHICS)
4:00 pm – 7:00 pm | Evening Reception and Networking
Friday – Oct 4
7:00 am – 8:00 am | Check-In and Continental Breakfast
8:00 am – 8:55 am | Kate Gaudry, Kilpatrick Townsend, “The Many Faces of Patent Examination: Using metrics and other inputs to gain insight and adjust patent prospects and prosecution”
9:00 am – 9:55 am | Andrew Baluch, Smith Baluch, “Current Topics in Inter Partes Review”
9:55 am – 10:15 am | Break and Scholarship Recognition
10:15 am – 11:05 am| Sherry Knowles, Knowles Intellectual Property Strategies, “Status of the Patent Eligibility Crisis in the U.S. and its Effect on Innovation”
11:05 am – 12:00 pm| Stacey Kalamaras, Kalamaras Law Office, “How to be an Effective Trademark Practitioner before the USPTO”
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm | Lunch and Annual Meeting
1:30 pm – 2:50 pm | James Wilson, Assistant Regional Director, Elijah J, McCoy Midwest Regional Office, United States Patent & Trademark Office, “Updates on § 101 and § 112 Guidelines and Inventor Studies at the USPTO”
2:50 pm – 3:00 pm | Break
3:00 pm – 3:45 pm | Allison Kerndt, Nyemaster Goode, “Lessons Learned from Trademark and Unfair Competition Litigation”
3:50 pm – 5:00 pm | Carl Oppedahl, Oppedahl Patent Law Firm, “Strategic Use, Strategies, and Considerations in PCT Practice”
We appreciate your business and look forward to a successful event!